WHO IS NSROC?
In 1986, local councils from the northern Sydney area recognised the need for a united voice that could represent the region on key issues and work collaboratively for a better future. They came together to create the Northern Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (NSROC).
Today, NSROC continues to enhance the liveability, productivity and sustainability of the region through:
- Advocacy – to provide a united voice on shared concerns in our region
- Project management – to co-ordinate councils on regional or cross council projects
- Research – to assess and evaluate regional needs and trends
- Information provision – to provide councils and their communities with supporting resources
Each member council is represented on the NSROC Board by the Mayor and a councillor. In addition to the Annual General Meeting, the Board meets four times a year to consider matters of strategic importance and provide direction to NSROC.
The current NSROC Executive members are:
President: Clr / Mayor Gail Giles-Gidney, Willoughby City Council
Vice President: Clr / Mayor Carolyn Corrigan, Mosman Municipal Council
Vice President: Clr Penelope Pedersen, City of Ryde
Secretary / Chair: Debra Just, CEO, Willoughby City Council
Treasurer : Ken Gouldthorp, General Manager, North Sydney Council
To encourage regional dialogue and resource sharing, NSROC convenes a number of Professional Officers Groups (POGs) with representation from each of our member Councils. They meet on an ongoing basis to discuss common challenges and opportunities for cross-council collaboration.
The following POGs support our work:
- Environmental sustainability
- Arts and culture
- Community services
- Communications and media
- Financial services
There are also time-limited project specific working or steering groups established. Current working groups include:
- Waste Advisory Group
- Social Infrastructure Strategy Project Control Group and Project Steering Committee
- Transport Infrastructure (Northern Sydney) Strategy Project Control Group and Project Steering Committee