Our Regional Objectives
The Northern Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils is a voluntary organisation of local governments whose members are the Councils of Hornsby, Hunter’s Hill, Ku-ring-gai, Lane Cove, Mosman, North Sydney, Ryde and Willoughby
To provide strong local government leadership
To work co-operatively as a group of Councils for the benefit of the Northern Sydney Region
To effectively advocate on regional priorities
Regional Priorities and Outcomes
Priority: Better manage urban growth
Priority: Improved service delivery
2018 Board Elected
NSROC is delighted to announce our new Executive voted in at the recent Annual General Meeting held on 9 November 2017.
Our new Executive is made up of:
- President: Clr Pam Palmer, Mayor of Lane Cove Council (pictured left)
- Vice President: Clr Jerome Laxale, Mayor of City of Ryde Council (pictured middle)
- Vice President: Clr Scott Bennison, Lane Cove Council (pictured right)
NSROC congratulates our new Executive on their appointment. For more information on the 2018 NSROC Delegates
Federal Senate Inquiry into the waste and recycling industry in Australia.
Waste and recycling in Australia is under a federal microscope following a Senate decision to establish an Inquiry into the industry, including issues related to landfill, markets for recycled waste and the role of the Australian Government in providing a coherent approach to the management of solid waste. NSROC welcomes the Inquiry which has been referred to the Senate Standing Committees on Environment and Communications. Further details about the Inquiry, its terms of reference and submissions made can be found at Committees’ website.
Two of the key points highlighted in the submission are:
- Current market and policy settings are failing to deliver adequate waste infrastructure (transfer stations, landfill sites, processing and treatment works) for the current volumes of domestic waste generated by the population of metropolitan Sydney.
- Current waste policy settings are aspirational and unlikely to be achieved in relation to domestic waste because recycled paper, glass and other dry goods and garden waste have reached a plateau as shares of total domestic waste.
The full version of NSROC’s submission (Hyperlink to our version) can be found as Submission No 29 on the Inquiry website.
Community Recycling Centre Recognised
Following the successful launch of the Northern Sydney Community Recycling Centre in April 2017, NSROC nominated the project to establish the facility for the Community Waste Services Category of the Local Government NSW Excellence in the Environment Awards.
At a glittering ceremony on 11 October 2017, NSROC received a Highly Commended certificate (see here). The judges congratulated the five partner councils on successfully working together to deliver a service for their communities, which could not easily have been provided by any single council. See certificate Highly Commended certificate CRC 2017
The Northern Sydney CRC at 8 Waltham Street Artarmon is open weekends and three week days for householders to drop off domestic quantities of problem wastes such as paints, e-waste, gas bottles, motor oils and other oils, fluorescent tubes and fire extinguishers. It was established with the support of the NSW EPA with funding from the waste levy.